The latest high-end consumer laptop computer from Lenovo offers new styling, new Intel processors and most uniquely the option for dual graphics cards in Nvidia SLI. The new 15.6-inch Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p isn’t categorized as a gaming laptop, but with the highest configuration available this new laptop can handle PC gaming.
Styled in a dark brushed metal with Red accents via Red LED back-lights on the keyboard the new Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p appears to be attempting to appeal to gamers. However Lenovo has categorized the new IdeaPad Y510p as an entertainment laptop.
Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p gallery:
Standard across the IdeaPad Y510p range is the Haswell quad-core 2.40 GHz Intel Core i7-4700MQ processor (6M Cache, 3.4 GHz Turbo Boost) which comes integrated with the Intel HD Graphics 4600 chip. In the display department the Y510p can come with either a 15.6-inch 1366-by-768 LED Anti-Glare screen or a similarly specced screen that has a native resolution of 1080p Full HD (most models are 1080p). Also you can get up to 16GB of DDR3 memory at 1600MHz and have hybrid storage up to 1TB 5400 RPM+24GB SSD with the new Y510p.
The graphics options available to the new Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p come from Nvidia’s new 700 series GeForce graphics cards which use the companies latest Kepler architecture. In particular the Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p has the Nvidia GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5 discrete GPU standard across all configurations and the optional second GPU is the
Nvidia GeForce GT 720M 2GB GDDR5 discrete GPU (update: Lenovo has confirmed the SLI setup will include a second NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M GPU, thanks folks in the comments). Lenovo has designed the Y510p’s chassis in a way that allows the optical drive to be replaced with the 750M graphics card in what is called a Ultrabay SLI configuration. With the Ultrabay SLI setup users can expect to see an up to 1.6 times higher frame rates in PC games.
As standalone GPUs the GT 720M and 750M aren’t the best of the best in the Nvidia line-up which is why Lenovo is calling the IdeaPad Y510p a performance entertainment laptop and not a gaming specific laptop. However both the GT 720M and 750M offer adequate performance gains over integrated Intel graphics that performance gains in entertainment related tasks are noticeable.
The Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p is available for order now through Lenovo’s online store with a discount base price of $989. The $989 base model has the Core i7-4700MQ processor, 8GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM, and a 1TB 5400 RPM hard drive. If you want the top-end model with dual Nvidia SLI graphics you will need to pay $1,299 through Lenovo (where you can still make configuration changes) or order the same model from Newegg for $1,149.99.
Below are the full specifications for the Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p entertainment laptop:
- 4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
- Operating System - Windows 8 64
- Display/Resolution - 15.6″ FHD LED Anti-Glare Wedge 1920×1080, 16:9 widescreen
- Graphics - Dual graphics support; NVIDIA® SLI – up to NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M 2GB dual graphics
- Memory - Up to 16GB DDR3L- 1600Mhz(Support Dual Channel) [1 SODIMM slots (1x2GB/1x4GB/2x2GB /2+4GB/2x4GB/1x8GB/4+8GB/2x8GB)]
- Hard Disk Drive - Up to 1TB HDD storage – [1TB/500GB (5400rpm)], 24GB SSD (optional)
- Sound - JBL® designed speakers supporting Dolby Home Theatre v4 audio certification for immersive sound
- Integrated Communications - Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230 – 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi connectivity, Bluetooth 4.0, 1 Gbps LAN
- Connectors - 1x USB 2.0 (one always on), 2x USB 3.0 SuperSpeed, 6-in-1 card reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC, MS, MS-Pro), Headphone, Microphone, and HDMI-out
- Camera - HD 720P camera
- Battery - Up to 5 hrs
- Weight - 5.95lb
- Dimensions - 15.23 x 10.19 x 0.61-1.41 inches